Well Water System Poor Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

bearsbeets

Reaction score
Yes, and yes.
Thanks, I'm having two sets of professional eyes look at the system today, the first recommended to replace the Amtrol Champion 62-gal tank with an AO Smith 65-gal tank. Total cost of $1,125 including new 40/60 pressure switch + labor. Some questions:

1. Is AO Smith a step down from Amtrol Champion? Or are these comparable? i.e. is this replacement tank going to have a diaphragm or bladder? Is this a question I should ask and if so, any others come to mind?
  2. Fair price? Seems steep from my review of AO Smith tank prices. Is another option for me to order the Amtrol tank again and simply hire out the installation?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is AO Smith a step down from Amtrol Champion? Or are these comparable?
From what I read, the A O Smith has a butyl diaphragm vs EPDM+butyl on the Champion. I don't know if A O Smith has the equivalent of multi-dome.

How about an Amtrol Well-X-Trol? Should not be a big price adder.

Is this replacement tank going to have a diaphragm or bladder? Is this a question I should ask and if so, any others come to mind?
Diaphragm in either case.

Fair price?
Probably. NYC is expensive.

Also, there will be miscellaneous involved to, so if that includes misc fittings and whatever, that is probably a darned good price.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
And can you explain what you mean by this? My understanding is the pump has nothing to do with pressure. The pump simply "pumps" water into the pressure tank, and the pressure tank, if adequately charged and with a functioning pressure switch, will push the water throughout the home.
NO, NO, and NO! Pressure and water come from the pump, not the tank. The tank just stores a little to push to you during the short times the pump is off. A 62 gallon tank only holds 15 gallons of water, and the pressure will go low to high from 70 to 38 as the pump cycles on and off for every 15 gallons you use. The larger the tank, the longer the times at low pressure.

The title of your thread says you have "low water pressure". Do you want to keep having the same 38 to 70 swings in pressure and pay over a grand for a big tank? Or would you like strong constant 60 PSI throughout the house and make the pump last longer as well for less than half that much?

If your pump guys are not offering you one of these, they are not doing you any favors.

https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/pk1a-pside-kick

But don't take my word for it. Just see what others like you have said here. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks