Well pump sediment filter clogging with mud

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Bevenour

Reaction score
I had to move into a rental home in February, because mine burnt down in late January. I never had any issues with the well water plumbing in my original house.
After moving into the rental, I promptly replaced the wound string filter with a better quality filter that reduces taste and odor, chlorine, etc. At least once a week, I have to change the filter. I've tried to tell the landlord that I suspect the well may be going dry.
He has had a plumber at the house twice. The first time they told me I was using the wrong filter. They installed the wound string variety again and in about 3-4 days the mud was coming through the filter (the water coming out of the faucet had a brown color to it).
He had the plumber out a second time (I don't know if it was the same person), this time they told me it was rust.
I've been a mechanic for 30+ years and suspect the "plumbers" he is consulting with don't know what they're talking about. I brought a dirty filter to work with me yesterday and when I showed it to a co-worker, his initial response was "ooh, muddy filter".
I'd just like an opinion about whether you think I'm right, or if you think I'm the one that's full of it...

Reach4

Reaction score
Are neighboring wells there going dry? I would think that a well going dry would cause the pumping of air rather than the water turning muddy. What do you know about the well?

I would think of pumping water into the ditch for a day or two to try to wash the mud out. But don't run the well dry. I guess it would be best to keep a watch for that if you don't know that the well has a protector to shut off the pump if the well runs dry. I am presuming that the outside faucets are not fed through the filter. It could be that solids were settling to the bottom, but the level rose to the level of the pump. A well can sometimes be cleaned out.

What is the filter that worked better? Did the water taste OK when you used that filter?
When you put the cloudy brown water into a stationary jar, how long does it take for the water to clear up and the solids to drop to the bottom?

Is the inside of your toilet tank(s) orange, or what?

What size filter element does the filter housing take?

A backwashing filter would wash itself periodically-- perhaps every night if needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks