Well line leak - PICTURES- Need advice

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by pktaske, Jun 6, 2014.

1. pktaske

pktaske New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    New Jersey
    So I've been getting pooling water along the base of my outside wall when my 2-line above-ground jet pump runs more than 5 minutes. I dug it up today and have a question on how to best repair the lines. I'm not sure which is leaking as I ripped into one with my Bobcat while digging so I'm unable to test. I'll need to fix both.

My question is how to best replace/repair the lines that run into my slab. They enter about 12" from my wall and exit about 2 feet down on the outside. I'm pretty sure they run directly into the houses 5' footing. I'm trying to avoid anything involving a jackhammer. You can see the exit hole is pretty big (ie-some of the concrete has eroded because of the leak. Was also thinking about running a smaller pipe size through each although I don't like the idea of this restricting flow. Perhaps the existing pipes be pulled out and new ones inserted? Also - is it ok to join the pipes outside underground with dual SS pipe clamps? Cant imagine they would last long exposed to the dirt when I bury them again.

You can see the pipes going into the ground from inside (1 1/4 and 1 1/2 black poly). The outside view is directly on the outside of the wall opposite from where they go into the slab. Thanks!

photo 1 (1).jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 3-2.jpg photo 5.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Self employed water system tech
    Do it right!

If you hired me, Id break up the concrete floor and put all new pipe in. While I was at it, I'd convert to a submersible pump.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. pktaske

pktaske New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    New Jersey
    Took your advice and ripped up around lines. Not nearly as bad as I thought. Working good so far but I'll let it go a few days before I fill it in. Had to do it in PVC and mate to the poly lines.