Weird water pressure issue in house... tenants moving in today, any ideas? (w/pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tireshark

Reaction score
Ok, so for the past two weeks i have been getting the place in shape and noticed that all the faucets/toilets had low water pressure... i just thought that the water main at the street wasn't open all the way and didn't mess with it. Get renters, and finally decide to go to the street to open it up all the way and i discovered that it is already open.

Here are some things i have observed:

- the dial isn't spinning when the water is off, so no leaks anywhere.

- the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, tub, and toilet are all exhibiting only a low-medium water flow (toilet takes over 2 minutes to refill)

- when i first turn on any of the faucets, i will get a normal high pressure flow for about 1 second, and then it drops as the built up pressure drops

- the washing machine cold water supply (2nd exit point in the house off of the main line) appears to have a normal high pressure flow.

- an outside spigot (1st exit point in the house off the main line), which branches off a few feet BEFORE the washing machine cold water supply, is exhibiting the low pressure issue

- the washing machine hot water supply appears to have normal high pressure

I'm stumped. Normal high pressure at the washing machine outlets indicate that the pressure is ok coming from the street. A second of normal pressure at the sink faucets before the pressure drops indicates that the lines aren't built up with deposits (otherwise it wouldn't flow with normal pressure for that first second, right?).

The most puzzling to me is why the WM cold outlet flows normal high pressure, but the spigot that splits off a few feet BEFORE it flows low pressure. If high pressure is going to the WM, it should be going to that spigot... i mean there is a shut off valve on the spigot branch, that i suppose could be bad (wouldn't think it likely but i guess its possible) but then whats the deal with the rest of the house?

Thanks for any advice!

Pictures:

main line with spigot branch and shut off valve

main line entering house and washing machine cold water supply

Videos:

Normal high pressure at washing machine outlets

Flow at kitchen sink (two turns)

Flow at tub

Flow at bathroom sink (two turns)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forum.

My thought is that you should have had the place ready before you rented it.

Give them the web address to get here, maybe they can get help after the fact.

I would hope their first month is Free.

Good Luck.

Tireshark

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

It isn't something that really affects them, as the water pressure is still usable in the house... it's just weak. It has been this way through several renters and no one has ever complained. I am trying to see if it's an issue that can be fixed because i know it's not working 100%. I didn't explain all this in the initial post, because i didnt think it was necessary... in hindsight i should have just left all of that out because it is irrelevant.

Do you have any advice on the problem? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you get one or two pressure gauges. For example, suppose the washing machine had some kind of flow control that keeps fairly constant flow despite pressure changes. A pressure gauge could tell the story.

My garden hose thread pressure gauge has a tattletale / lazy hand designed to record the highest pressure. I can wind that hand around to record the low pressure (not listed as a feature). I don't think that they all can do that. That ability could be useful if yours could do that.

Tireshark

Reaction score
Yeah smooky, i didnt know what that thing was until about 5 minutes ago and it sounds like it might be causing some, if not all, of the issue. I'm pretty sure im going to replace it, and it looks like it will be easy since it is a threaded connection.

One thing that still puzzles me is if the PRV is bad why would the washing machine outlets still have good pressure?

@ reach4 - in the first video you can see me operate the washing machine outlet, and it is just a normal spigot... the washing machine is not hooked up. a pressure gauge would help me get a more precise understanding of how much water is flowing, though.

thanks to both of you.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have any galvanized pipe with that copper anywhere in your house?

The washing machine hose bib probably allows debris to pass through it to the screen on washing machine. Does the tenant supply the washing machine or do you? If you do check your washing machine inlet.

Maybe you have debris in your system clogging the faucet screen or the faucet valves. You could take the kitchen faucet apart and check.

A pressure gauge measures the pressure not the flow, so even if something is clogging your system somewhere the gauge will most likely read the same pressure.

DonL

Reaction score
Most washer connections have a reduced flow, so the pressure may appear higher.

The PRV could be bad, and a cheap fix.

Good Luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu apparently have a bad pressure reducing valve. When there is no flow, the water leaks through and builds up pressure, but when you open a faucet that drains off the excess and you are left with whatever the PRV lets through. Find it and replace it.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd donate that PRV to the Smithsonian and clean out all the screens in the faucets, then see how things look. You got more than one issue, most likely.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know a thing or two about rentals.

If your rental is not ready, don't rent it until you bring it to "ready" condition, or you will have lingering issues with the tenant. Furthermore, the tenant might contact the city housing authority, which has the power to fine you as a "slumlord" - that's the case in my city.

Believe you me - you don't want the city involved.

DonL

Reaction score
I know a thing or two about rentals.

If your rental is not ready, don't rent it until you bring it to "ready" condition, or you will have lingering issues with the tenant. Furthermore, the tenant might contact the city housing authority, which has the power to fine you as a "slumlord" - that's the case in my city.

Believe you me - you don't want the city involved.

I agree for the most part.

But where the OP lives, it may be rented to a cousin or friend.

They will not report next of kin.

I would give free rent, Or a break on rent, until it is correct.

Tireshark

Reaction score
What's the deal here? I literally explained how all of that was irrelevant, as well as how it is not an issue, yet people still feel the need to comment about it. Makes me feel like this board is gossip oriented instead of problem solving oriented.

Again, the house is completely functional it is just a little weaker than it probably could be. AGAIN, this is the way it has been through many renters and no one has ever complained. I live next door to the house and i fix anything they tell me needs fixed immediately.

I am not a plumber, so for a long time i have assumed that the low water pressure in the house was normal for one reason or another... only recently did i wonder if it might could be improved, which brought me here. I took the time to take/upload numerous videos and pictures of the problem to help the members here better understand the issue, but i didn't anticipate an evaluation of my landlord capabilities.

Big thanks to everyone that has offered help on the plumbing question.

Reach4

Reaction score
Since your first hose tap connection is before the regulator, the regulator could not explain a problem with that spigot. Since your laundry taps are after the regulator, that seems to point against the regulator as being the big problem.

Pressure gauges are widely available in stores that carry plumbing supplies. The Watts DP IWTG has the needle that can remember the high pressure as does my gauge, the LDR 0209645.

Last edited:

Tireshark

Reaction score
Reach4, the bottom section is from the road, and it bends up and goes into the house... so that first hose tap is actually after the regulator. That's my mistake on not labeling which side is coming from the road.

Reach4

Reaction score
Got ya. That makes sense.

While the pressure gauge that Ace Hardware sells does not have the lazy hand feature, you don't need that if it is not readily available. That feature can be handy when working alone as well as when you want to monitor things over an interval.

DonL

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, so for a long time i have assumed that the low water pressure in the house was normal for one reason or another... only recently did i wonder if it might could be improved, which brought me here. I took the time to take/upload numerous videos and pictures of the problem to help the members here better understand the issue, but i didn't anticipate an evaluation of my landlord capabilities.

Big thanks to everyone that has offered help on the plumbing question.

I am sure your landlord capabilities are just fine.

You will get help, for stuff you do not even ask for. lol

It is nice that you are next door, That makes for a great rent house.

You did come to the right place, I hope you stick around.

I would invest in a Good PRV and work from there. That may be all you need.

Enjoy your project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks