Weil McLain Gold P/T Gauge question

Users who are viewing this thread

Watson524

Reaction score
Hi all,

Mom has a Weil McLain Gold hot water boiler. The pressure/temp gauge on the front is no longer reading pressure. Since I was doing other work today on it (adding in valves and hose bibs so zones could be drained in isolation), I wanted to replace the gauge. Went to the local plumbing supply house, they gave me a replacement gauge with a short neck after I told them the boiler and they said it was a "CG". Anyway, drain as much as I needed to and pull the old one out... huh doesn't look like a match. The old one has a spring type thing on the end and is a 1/2" fitting. New one is 1/4". Retired plumber friend that was supervising said a bushing will get you to the size you need so we put a bushing on and spun it in. Bring the boiler up to 15 psi (just using the pre set auto fill valve) and the pressure gauge doesn't move. All of a sudden I see water in the gauge part. PITA leak in the gauge. So we spin it out, put old one back in to carry on with the days' work.

So it looks like the spot of solder on the very back of it isn't soldered very well and allowing water into the gauge part, clearly defective so it has to go back. Question is, would you replace with the same kind (which is this http://www.supplyhouse.com/Weil-McL...ure-Temperature-Gauge-Boiler-All-Boiler-Sizes) and use the bushing to go from 1/4" to 1/2" or would you try to find the old style from 12 years ago? The plumbing supply house told me the only real concern is long stem vs short and we have the short but they failed to mentioned the 1/4" vs 1/2".

thanks in advance!

Watson524

Reaction score
For reference, this is what the back of the old one looked like

Last edited by a moderator:

Watson524

Reaction score
Update on this. It looks like Weil McLain themselves changed the part. The online manual shows 380-000-000 as the WM part number which no longer has the springs on the back and comes with a bushing so I'll just take the defective gauge back, use the bushing I have and carry on.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
That one in your picture looks like it uses Wax. Very Old School.

I think the newer one will be better.

The Length is all that should mater.

Good Luck.

Watson524

Reaction score
New gauge worked like a charm. They've actually changed slightly and that model is now a 0 - 100psi vs 0 -75psi but it works fine and reads 15psi like it should and temp seems spot on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks