weatherstripping an uneven entry door

Users who are viewing this thread

R_2016

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a door that I need to weatherstrip thats uneven(was plumb wrong when installed) there is no problem with the door working, however it is not very air tight. There is a gap at the top of the door of about 1/2" or so and the bottom of the door is even with the jamb. I tryed to go to lowes to pick up some of there weatherstripping but it was not big enough. Does anyone know of any places I could try that has special weatherstripping for uneven doors or maybe I could even try a garage door weather stripping. It is a high traffic (entry)door but in the garage but it does not need to look the best just need it to work. thanks

Randy

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1/2" margin is big. I think it would be worth your while to take off the casings and re-shim the whole jamb. It is not as much trouble as you think. A good tool to have would be a 5' or 6' level .

Old Dog

G.C. 22+ years(in 3 states)
Reaction score
Uneven door...

jimbo said:
1/2" margin is big. I think it would be worth your while to take off the casings and re-shim the whole jamb. It is not as much trouble as you think. A good tool to have would be a 5' or 6' level .

Jimbo is right... you can also use a sawszal to cut the nails so the door can be plumbed.A 6' level is ideal but you could do it with a 4'.The door may "work" now but there will come a time when it will start to sag,stick,etc...Make sure the top and bottom of the door has been painted.Nothing cuts the usable "life" of a door more than not being sealed on all 6 sides.
BTW, Some of the old time hardware stores used to carry weather strips that had about an 1 1/4" aluminum flange.They came with small nails and you could install them on an "angle" to cover the bigger gap...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks