Water While Soldering

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh.....how about a sharkbite.....or sharkbite and ball valve set up??????

They are now making ball valves with sharkbite connections built in also.

Cash Acme makes a sharkbite PRV.

Still the best solution is to replace the main shutoff valve.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
Cut.
Loosen adjacent straps.
Bend pipe gently down to cut.
Let drain for 30 mins.
Stuff w white bread.
Cheapest and easiest if it's a 'once-in-a-while' situation

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
How about freezing the line before you solder it? Freezing kits can be rented.

coldshot.jpg

Attachments

• coldshot.jpg
    coldshot.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 271

BigBoschMan

Reaction score
Great advice as usual.

I heard about the freezing of pipe's with Carbon Dioxide used in England before.Like turning water into dry ice.

Would it be safe to say that using propane as opposed to acetylene just can't heat the connection enuff to overshadow the effect that trickle of water has on a stubborn soldering joint?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The heat is only part of the problem... the steam generated when the water trickles across the joint contaminates the weld and prevents adequate bonding (annealing????). You defintely get a possible problem with it breaking loose or leaking about the time you pack up your tools or some time in the near future.

mrclean

Reaction score
Sharkbites are one of the best inventions in the last several years, in my opinion. There are several times when, in a local hotel, I would have been ankle deep in water if not for the quick connections that they provide. As for the bread trick, I have used it a couple of times.....it works, but the customer sure does look at you funny when you start stuffing that bread into their pipes!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks