Water Treatment Salt Buildup

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by maryathome, Apr 15, 2009.

1. maryathome

maryathome New Member

We have a whole-house water treatment system that utilize salt to soften the water and supposedly clean out all the chemicals. We had the same system in our former home and it worked beautifully. Bought a new one and installed it in our new home (new town, new water district) and now I'm seeing salt residue on the splash area around our fountain and recently on my car after I rinsed it down from our house. What's going wrong?
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Water from one source can be very different than from another source. Water spots etc. are caused by a number of things, like high TDS (total dissolved solids), chlorides, sulfates and sodium etc..

If what you have is a water softener, it may not be working right or it may be undersized for your peak demand gpm based on the number of bathrooms and the type of fixtures in them and if you exceed the constant SFR (service flow rating) of the cubic foot volume of resin in the softener.