Water tastes like melted plastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Casman

Reaction score
Have a new GE fridge with water filter and dispenser. We ran through and flushed the line system whatever and after a month the water from the fridge still is awful, tastes like liquid plastic. Is this normal? Any remedies other than not to use?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you by any chance hook up the hot water line instead of the cold going to the frig?

Do you have an RO filter?

Is the line going to the frig copper or plastic?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My GE frig is hooked up with a copper line. Water and ice are fine. How nasty is your water out of the tap?

Casman

Reaction score
Cold Water line to fridge connection is copper, fridge line up and into fridge is plastic. It appears it runs plastic up the back, then into the fridge portion where it is coiled around inside the fridge. Tap water is fine, No RO thingee. My wife is one of those that buys water and uses one of those Brita things which I hate refilling daily, so I thought the fridge with fiter would be nice but the taste is bad. Any suggestions? Can I somehow replace the plastic line built into the fridge with copper?, otherwise I guess we just won't use it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
How much have you used it? Try running 5-10 gallons through it and see if it clears up. Also, empty the ice bin which will force it to make new ice. This may seem like a dumb thing, but are you sure the filter is installed and/or in right? The thing operates in a bypass mode if the filter is not installed (at least on the one I have). Try replacing the filter. If that doesn't solve it, I suggest calling GE. I only have limited experience with mine, but I don't remember having that problem when it was new, nor do I have it now. I have one of the Arctica series, the filter is a 1/4 turn job thatlooks sort of like a car's oil filter. If you have one of the inline ones with a connection on each end, is it possible that it is installed backwards?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
water line

Did you mean you ran copper to the fridge and then coiled plastic line from the copper to the fridge connection?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The water tubing in (at least my GE frig) is plastic. I'm pretty sure he meant the external supply line is copper up to the frig.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plastic lines shouldn't impart a taste, so I agree with flushing it out. Usually the only problem with water supply to the refridgators is the phony saddle valves failing where the supply line is tapped in.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
how about stainless?

ice makers are scary, when plumbed poorley 8 years ago i got a call from my customer that the wood parkay flooring in front of the fridge was buckling. this was a 10 year old slab on grade house. ice maker hose had been leaking for some time. they said "match as best you can" i told them to contact their home owners ins. co. i had my floor guys replace the whole
1st floor approx. 1500 sq. ft. insurance paid ,no problem. no ,i didn't install this icemaker. i use stainless myself

Casman

Reaction score
Yup, The line I ran was copper to the fridge connection. The fridge is new and already had plastic tubing running up the back, entering into the fridge itself, then inside the fridge portion, at the indside lower back this plastic line is coiled around about 6 coils and this was done by GE. The filter is a 1/4 turn push up and turn thing, I took off the plastic protector, then ran water through it I guess to prime it or whatever, then stuck it in and turned it to arrow, I dunno, maybe it somehow isn't working, I already flushed the hell outta it but I guess will try more flushing and dumping out of the icemaker to see if it improves. Old fridge a frigidare had no filter and no taste problems. Maybe I'll try removing the filter and see what I get.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
ice maker

It's not right and G E will probably make it right for you.

For sure call the appliance store and get them to send a service man.

If it's new, you shouldn't need to pay..............

A

alhurley

ours has the same unit. had it for 2 yrs now and my only objection is the 40 bucks every 6 mos or so for a new filter. (price just went up, if you haven't bought a new one lately)

I agree - call GE.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I bought a pack of 4 filters online awhile ago...the price was pretty good, I think about $120 including shipping. Buying them one at a time was about what you paid. Can't remember where now,though.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a rip. There is no way they should cost that much. I hooked up a large, what I consider oversized, filter to mine and it is rated for 5 years of service. No way will it last that long or would I want to leave it in that long but if I get 2 years that will be great. Cost...$30 bucks.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Expensive, yes. But, if I remember correctly, it is a multistage filter, containing a pre-filter, ceramic filter and chemical absorbtion (non carbon). The ceramic filter blocks things, that while shouldn't be in the water, a normal filter can't. Still, probably not worth the expense.

Al Eagle

Reaction score
Okay. I do not work for Home Depot. You just have not to loose, once you can take it back to store and have your money back, if what I'm telling you it's not true. So, that is what I did. First I got a Filter from LG (EX$PENSIVE) my fridge is LG, it taste like pure plastic, terrible, disgusting. My family was getting water from bottles, even having the dispenser at the fridge door, Ice? Not even thinking about. Plastic cubes. So I come to Home Depot and bet on their brand HDX, They have a generic HDX for any fridge official filter. Guess what? Half a price and the water don't taste nothing, anything, nada. Pure untasted water. As I said, just try. You'll thank me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks