Water Softener with Hot Water Recirc Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

TSGarp007

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a GE GXMH31H water softener installed prior to my house potable entrance line. I just bought a Watts 500800 hot water recirc system. I have become concerned about the possibility of water flowing backwards into my water softener. Some people online are saying that this can be an issue.

My water softener goes into a bypass mode before starting the recharge cycle. During this period, the hard water will be diverted to my cold pipes (via the water softener) at normal house pressure. It seems to me like my cold water pipes will always be at a normal house water pressure, regardless of the watts recirc pump. The water pumped by the Watts will still be able to travel back to the water heater, via the cold water pipes, whether the waters softener is in recharge or not. It really seems to me like this shouldn't be an issue, but maybe I am missing something? Certainly not the first time. Thanks for any clarification or help!

Reach4

Reaction score
I have become concerned about the possibility of water flowing backwards into my water softener. Some people online are saying that this can be an issue.
Thoughtful write-up, but I cannot buy into the analysis. If somebody does, I would be glad to hear that.

However a check valve placed where described can solve a "phantom flow" problem, where the thermal expansion is going through the softener to the well pressure tank, making the meter register some extra flow, and therefore salt consumption would be a little higher than it should be. That would not cause the water not being soft.

Bannerman

Reaction score
When a check valve is installed, a thermal expansion tank will be also required downstream of the check-valve.

When cold water is heated in a water heater, the water will expand. Because the expansion will be prevented by the check valve from flowing backwards through the softener so as to be absorbed in a well system pressure tank or city supply, the pressure past the check valve will usually rise when there has been no water usage for some time. When the pressure becomes excessive, often the WH's temperature and pressure relief valve will begin to leak slightly while it is attempting to relieve the excess pressure.

A small expansion tank will provide appropriate space to absorb the water expansion which will reduce the amount of pressure rise past the check valve.
https://www.amtrol.com/product/other-amtrol-thermal-expansion-tanks/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks