Water Softener resin cleaning ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fabricator

Reaction score
hello

i just discovered that i should clean my resin, i had no idea.

i am sure this has be gone over a ton of times. so could someone directt me to a link or post that discusses this.
i have a 4 1/2 y/o flek 7000 sxt. pretty hard city water with some rust. but only 2 not heavy water users in this old house.

thanx

Bannerman

Reaction score
What makes you think you need to clean it?

As your water is city source, it will be chlorinated which will oxidize clear water iron (ferrous) which may have been initially present in the water. Ferrous iron when oxidized is converted to ferric iron (solid rust particles) which will precipitate from the water likely before reaching your home. If any solid particles do make their way through to your softener, they will be flushed to drain during the softener's regular backwash cycle.

If you are concerned with particles entering the softener, a sediment filter such as a Lakos Twist II Clean could be utilized prior to the softener.

If you still wish to clean the resin, Iron-Out , Super Iron-out, Rescare or similar cleaning products could be used. The usual method is to dissolve 1/2 cup cleaner into 2 gallons warm water, add to the brine well of resin tank. Wait approx 2 hours for additional salt to dissolve and then initiate a manual regeneration cycle. If you wish to ensure all of the cleaner and additional brine residue is rinsed from the resin prior to use, perform a 2nd manual regeneration 1.5 hours after the initial regeneration has refilled the brine tank.

Fabricator

Reaction score
i was doing a search on my unit, and came across the cleaning info.
and, i have been noticing, perhaps incorrectly, that my water is not quit as soft as it used to be.
i will test it.

i do know rust getting though is an isssue, i know neighbors have it. and i had stains before the softener install.
but, i don't think its mcuh.

i have not noticed any sediment.

idk if they are blowing smoke, or its a real issue.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-clean-water-softener-resin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks