Water softener question

Users who are viewing this thread

jayinct

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea why my softened water changed from feeling soft to feeling slimy soft. Is there any way to check the settings on my softener to see if something is not working the way it used to. Also I noticed the difference after my neutralizer had its annual service. Could that affect the softener?
Jay

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "feeling soft."

Softened water typically feels slippery.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A softener when programmed properly, will soften to 0 grains hardness. Even at that, it may not be completely soft. As one 'grain' is equivalent to 17 ppm of hardness, a test indicating 'O' grains may be somewhere between 0 ppm and 16 ppm hardness. If in the upper range, it may not feel as slippery soft as water in the lower range. A Hach 5b is the most recommended softness test kit for testing 'grains' as 'feel' is not a measurable indicator.

Perhaps your neutralizer hadn't been working properly before being serviced. You may wish to obtain a pH tester to be able to periodically monitor the neutralizer effectiveness (ie: pre-neutralizer vs post neutralizer).

I'm not certain if it's possible to overdo neutralizing thereby raising the water pH much higher than 7.0? I do know that high pH liquids will feel very slippery to touch (ie: liquid dishwasher detergent or chlorine bleach).

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You may wish to obtain a pH tester to be able to periodically monitor the neutralizer effectiveness (ie: per-neutralizer vs post neutralizer).
Good point. Check that pH.

If your pH correction is not calcite, it might over-do the pH rise.

jayinct

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. What I'm trying to say is there is a definite change in the way my water feels. It always felt slippery and it soaps up great and that's fine but now out of the blue it's extremely slippery and with more suds than usual. Also it's making our hair feel like cotton so I know something has changed. I do use the hach b test for softness and the water is very dark blue with just using the water and powder and not having to use the reagent. I'm trying to figure out if the neutralizer service would have affected my softener in some way. We use Calcite and it's serviced once a year. What ph tester do you recommend? Maybe that's the problem.
Thanks for your help.
Jay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks