Water Softener Prep for Turning Water Off to House

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas Harvan

Reaction score
I have an UltraSoft 280 water softener. I will need to have the water off to the house for some months. We will return 2 to 3 months ever summer for some time. There is no risk of freezing. What do I need to do to the softener other than remove power supply? How can I minimize the chance of salt bridge?

I can think of 3 options: 1) do nothing except removing power, 2) remove power, all salt pellets and drain water from brine well and resin bed by disconnecting & tipping unit (as in manual for freeze prep), 2) remove power, reduce salt pellet level, pump out brine well (or minimize by using a small, sanitized pump) and leave water in resin bed.

I'm afraid that the first option, doing nothing, will result in a significant salt bridge. The second option is a lot of work to shut it down and to start it back up. Is the third option acceptable?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not sure if that unit has a day override, but if it does you can set it to regen once a month at a very low salt setting, this will keep things clean. When you return, add a small amount of bleach to the brine tank to sanitize the unit.

If you use salt, bridging is not much of an issue and is easily corrected with a gallon of hot water in the brine tank. If you use Potassium Chloride, bridging is a major problem especially due to low use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks