Water Softener/Filter thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

CT77

Reaction score
I'm in a new house (1989 built) and looking to add a water softener, whole house filter, and whole house UV, with an under sink RO for my drinking water (it's had issues with coliform and I have young kids). I had a lab run a water test, these are the results. https://postimg.cc/bs33vBg9

bs33vBg9

It's a 3k sq ft 4 bedroom 4.5 bath house on a well in New England, 4 people living here, maybe a 5th soon. I'm getting an orange film on my toilets and sinks every few days a ring in my toilet. What kind of equipment am I looking at? I've done some reading here over the past few weeks, and I'm (guesstimating) I will need a 1.5 cu softener, and I was looking at the Fleck 5600 SXT with a 10% resin and a 3 stage big blue, with a Viqua D4 UV, but I'm not certain I'm sizing everything well or if I'm getting the right equipment. Thanks in advance.

CT77

Reaction score
There were some replies here that went missing before I could read them. Any idea what happened?

Bannerman

Reaction score
With only 58 mg/L hardness (3.4 grains per gallon), a water softener while nice to have, would not be required or typically even considered.

Although a water softener could effectively remove your relatively minor amount of iron and manganese, you are also concerned with bacteria in which a water softener would be ineffective.

Chlorine injection will effectively kill bacteria with an added benefit that it will also oxidize iron and manganese. A backwashing carbon filter system could then be used to remove any chlorine residual as well as the oxidized solid iron and manganese particles and many other contaminants.

With the size of your home and 4.5 baths, I expect your main plumbing service will be larger than 3/4" diameter. A Fleck 5600SXT is most appropriate for up to a 3/4" service feed.

Any control valve, whether water softener or backwashing filter, is to be appropriate for your home's plumbing size. If your main line is 1" or larger, you may wish to consider a Fleck 5810, 5812 or Clack WS1 or WS1.25 control valve.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I like your thoughts, simple and effective. The manganese can be hit/miss with the carbon bed since it tends to migrate through the bed fairly easily sometimes. It is hard to say with certainty why it works many times but not others. Although not totally perfect, sometimes a simple mixed bed of carbon and clinoptilolite can help reduce the manganese even better with little or no additional cost. You will lose a small amount of carbon capacity. A hybrid stacked tank design can also be very effective albeit it a slightly higher cost. A Katalox light or greensand plus filter on top of a carbon tank can be very effective especially at these lower levels of manganese. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/14-15

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks