Water softener/filter set up

Users who are viewing this thread

brainer23

Reaction score
would like for you guys to help recommend a water softner and filter for me.

NY
hatch 5b: 13gpg
biasi oil burner
htp super stor 45 water heater
3000sqft house
1-2people
2full
2half baths

is the ge from home depot any good?
not looking to break the bank but looking for reliability as well

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
FYI,,, Lowes and Home Depot water heaters, softeners and other products are mostly licensed name branding. That is GE and Whirlpool do not make water heaters nor softeners but license their trademarks to be used.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The big box systems are basically considered disposable lowest bidder equipment, especially the water treatment equipment they sell. A 3000 Square foot house should have a properly sized system. Do you know what your pipe size and type are?

brainer23

Reaction score
The big box systems are basically considered disposable lowest bidder equipment, especially the water treatment equipment they sell. A 3000 Square foot house should have a properly sized system. Do you know what your pipe size and type are?
what do you mean by pipe size and type? for the water inside the house or from the well?

in the house is 3/4 copper that branches to 1/2 copper lines

Last edited:

brainer23

Reaction score
i would like a whole house softner. So well -> outside water -> softner ->filter. Something like that work? or is there a better option... Aside from the softner how do i know if i could benefit from a water filtration system?

Scottp999

Reaction score
I run the GE 40,200 Grain Water Softener water softener from Home Depot. 4.5 bath, 2 adult and 2 small children. 9.5 gpg peak flow. We have guests once in a while with a total of 10-11 people in the house and no complaints about flow. They are cheap units and they won't answer about what resin is used, but if you think of it as disposable for the price maybe that helps. I put two 4.5"*20" filters in front of ours (public water utility from private company), 23 GPG hardness as the source is wells around the county in a huge aquifer. The two filters are 1 micron sediment (nominal) and activated carbon block. ACB is to try to keep the chlorine off the resin so it lasts longer. When this unit goes, will have to decide if it was worth it or go for a more substantial unit. Have 2 years of runtime on it now, but my neighbor has 3 years on his.

** We also have some barium and radium 226 and radium 228, which the softener should help with.

HuffAZ

Reaction score
I cannot recommend any of the box store soft water units. Find a reputable company either locally or with reasonable shipping distance. Go with a softener based on a Fleck or Clack controller. Look for systems that use separate brine tanks, not all in ones. For tanks I prefer Pentair made in USA. Fleck and Clack are both excellent controllers but I prefer Fleck (I have the model 5810 SXT) as parts are somewhat easier to find.