Water softener draining

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Pedelty, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Pedelty

Pedelty New Member

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the best place to have my water softener drain. I have a septic system and I do not know if it is best for the water to drain directly into the septic system or to drain into the sump pump. I also live on a lake. Thank you!
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

The EPA says there is no problem putting the discharge into a normally operating septic system. They also say the 'extra' water is actually helpful. Millions of softener are connected to the septic system but, there are 3-4 states that still ban it. Those states say to use a dry well. And I think your mention of living by a lake goes to polluting the lake which I would be concerned about or polluting your well if you used a dry well or a sump pump.

I say it should go into the septic.
  3. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

I would first find out where the sump pump is discharging it's water.

bob...
  4. Pedelty

Pedelty New Member

Thank you. That was all very helpful