Water Sensor

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by vman, Jun 16, 2009.

1. vman

vman New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Not sure what forum this would fall in. But does anyone use or recommend any "water sensor" that alerts you if your basement starts to flood or major collection of water?
  2. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Aug 27, 2008
    A bounty hunter like in "Raising Arizona"
    There are probably kits to build these. And plenty of circuits for this on

In principle you could hook one up to shut off your main water supply if water is detected but an electrically-operated shut off valve costs a half a kilobuck or so.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Aug 17, 2008
    Hand copper part cleaned ready to go
    Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon b
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Jul 24, 2007
    Robber, with some DIY on the side.
    For the cheapest option that does not give false alarms and leave your wife clueless as how to turn the water back on, I use one of these.

The simplest solution is often the best one.
  6. chris8796

chris8796 New Member

Jan 8, 2005
    I use the watercop system to stop plumbing leaks. Its expensive, but I like all the functionality. It's nice to have a switch at the top of the basement stairs to turn off all water, It also can connect to other security or control systems. I got mine after moving the laundry to the second floor and finishing the basement. The convincing thing was when my daughter propped a glass in the frig water dispenser and forgot it, then went to school for 8 hrs. Around the same time, I had a friend have a PRV fail and have 125 psi break a plastic part in the water softner and ruin his basement.