Water Pressure Booter Pump w/softener and whole house filter

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dsteph3, May 12, 2010.

1. dsteph3

dsteph3 New Member

My water pressure has always been bad at my house. The quality of the water was even worse, so I installed a whole house filter and water softener at the beginning of this year. I understand that as the filter gets dirtier, the pressure will reduce. However, it seems bad even with a new filter. I'm looking into a pressure booster (e.g http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/plumbing/water-pressure/boosters/water-pressure-booster-kits). My questions are:

1) Will I still see improvement in pressure even with the filter being the bottleneck.
    2) Do I install it before or after the filter and softener? Currently, the first thing after the main line into the house is the filter, then the softener.

My initial thoughts are that if I put it after the filter and softener, it would prolong the life of the booster since it won’t see all the sediment and hard water. However, it may not get the necessary flow to sustain any type of pressure.

Thanks in advance for any advise!
    Dan
  2. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

You didn't say where your water comes from, municipal or well?
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

What are you filtering?

Is the filter a disposable cartridge type? If so remove the cartridge and see if the flow improves. Then leave the cartridge out, there is no sense in filtering invisible dirt; and your softener will last longer.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Put it first. If you put it after the filter/softener and they become obstructed your pump will cavitate because of insufficient water supply and be destroyed.