Water Meter Couplings

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JasonG, Sep 15, 2007.

1. JasonG

JasonG New Member

Is it normal to have 3/4" galvanized main supply line, to 1/2" brass water meter coupling, to 5/8" water meter, to 1/2" brass mater meter coupling, to 3/4" galvanized supply line?

Why is it reduced down to the 1/2" couplings?
    Are there 3/4" coupling that I should use?

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

it's not uncommon to have a supply line larger than the meter, but I see no point in the 1/2" portion. The larger supply line is to cut down on friction loss. I would be concerned about the galvanized supply line. It surely is quite old as galvanized pipe has not been used for many years.
  3. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

You got 1/2" couplings because someone wanted to save $2 when they installed the meter. The couplings are usually the responsibility of the utility that installs the meter.

The couplings may be what they got when they bought a bunch of meters from the lowest bidder.

The change in size going in and out of the meter will cause more pressure loss at high flows. The proper way to do it would be to install a 3/4" coupling on the pipe, and a 3/4" meter coupling on the meter, but it may not be worth it if you aren't having pressure problems.