Water line size advice on new basement bath?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Vinniejt76, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Vinniejt76

Vinniejt76 New Member

I'm installing a half bath in my basement and I need advice on tapping into the existing lines. I have a 3/4 in main line leaving the water heater, then it branches out to fixtures on the first floor to 1/2 in lines, and the 3/4 inch continues upstairs to feed those fixtures. Is it okay if I tap into one of the half inch lines feeding the first floor for my basement half bath?
    Also I was going to use shark bite T's for tapping in, has anyone used thses before?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

General rule of thumb, two fixtures on a 1/2" line. Lots of houses have more and work okay; just depends on what flows are required. A half-bath won't be using much. Better if you can probably tap into the 3/4" line and then run 1/2". See what the pros have to say...
  3. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I would come off the 3/4 lines to feed your new bath, that way you will
    not be losing the volume to your other fixtures.
  4. edhoman

edhoman New Member

What is the penalty of having 3/4" water line fed by a 1/2"?

Thanks
  5. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Lower pressure and volume.
    I would tap off of the 3/4" with 1/2" hot and cold.