Water line size advice on new basement bath?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Vinniejt76, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Vinniejt76

Vinniejt76 New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm installing a half bath in my basement and I need advice on tapping into the existing lines. I have a 3/4 in main line leaving the water heater, then it branches out to fixtures on the first floor to 1/2 in lines, and the 3/4 inch continues upstairs to feed those fixtures. Is it okay if I tap into one of the half inch lines feeding the first floor for my basement half bath?
    Also I was going to use shark bite T's for tapping in, has anyone used thses before?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    General rule of thumb, two fixtures on a 1/2" line. Lots of houses have more and work okay; just depends on what flows are required. A half-bath won't be using much. Better if you can probably tap into the 3/4" line and then run 1/2". See what the pros have to say...
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Aug 11, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    I would come off the 3/4 lines to feed your new bath, that way you will
    not be losing the volume to your other fixtures.
  5. edhoman

edhoman New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    What is the penalty of having 3/4" water line fed by a 1/2"?

6. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Dec 2, 2005
    Plumbing Designer
    SW Florida
    Lower pressure and volume.
    I would tap off of the 3/4" with 1/2" hot and cold.