Water heater tank flushing process

Users who are viewing this thread

leff1rj

Reaction score
Question regarding flushing a water heater tank. Have read several websites pertaining to flushing water heaters and none made mention of turning on cold water supply during process. All processes seem dependent on just gravity flow. Seems logical to introduce pressurized water into bottom of tank thru dip tube to stir up sediment in bottom of tank and better flush out tank.
Are there negative consequences to introducing pressurized water thru cold water supply dip tube? Does flush frequency of every six months seem reasonable to all?
Also, are there any opinions on a "curved" dip tube? Doesn't appear to be a readily available item. Have only seen kit on waterheaterrescue website. Kit also included 3/4" ball valve to replace factory applied drain valve to decrease potential for blockage by sediment. All this makes sense also. If you made it this far, thanks for reading and for any feedback anyone might be able to provide!
Rick Leffler

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. It does not matter if I take some extra time. If I were paid by the hour, then I could not afford myself. Here is my simpler take on it https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/rusty-water-from-heater.63551/#post-471160

Here is a longer-winded version:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/proper-gas-hot-water-tank-flushing.62015/#post-459209

It is interesting if there is a way to see what comes out.

I went about 2 years on my second simple flush I did as part of well sanitizing . My first simple simple flush was about a year after the big cleaning, which was one that got the rocks and sand. My filters don't allow rocks and sand now. But still, after 2 years, I got some discolored water out.

Annual might be a good frequency, but every 2 years will put you well ahead of most people.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks