Water heater shutoff???

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by moonapprentice, Aug 3, 2011.

1. moonapprentice

moonapprentice New Member

my Gas water heater is starting to leak at the bottom of the tank base and is going to be replaced real soon. I am leaving my house for 1 week and am going to shut off the water heater inlet ball valve in case any thing happens while I am gone. I was wondering if It is necessary to shut off the burner as well or if I could keep that on.
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Just set the thermostat on the heater to vacation. That will allow the pilot light to stay on . Then when you return home you won't have to relight it.

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Depending where the leak is, and other conditions, the water could leak out of the tank while you are gone. Turn off the gas.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Relighting the pilot light is not a very difficult thing to do. If the leak worsened while you were gone and the tank drained dry they could be serious problems if the heater kept trying to heat. Turn the gas off.