Water entering home through hole in exterior wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
The last time it rained real hard (flood warnings all throughout my area, cars having to be towed out of standing water in my county), a little bit of water entered my home. I actually thought it was the washing machine leaking, and the washing machine repairman came out and said nope, it's not leaking. Then I opened the door to the room adjacent to the utility room, and found a little bit of water in there too. So I walked around the outside of my home, and looked along the exterior wall to try and see if I could figure out where that water might have come from. And here's my best guess, a big crack where the big old electrical cable from the meter comes into the house. I think it might have rained through this big crack.
DSCF0914.jpg

Now here's what this same area looks like on my neighbor's house. Nice and sealed, looks like.
DSCF0912.jpg

I think that goop might be this stuff, but I don't know. I'm not very handy. Should I buy that stuff from Lowes and fill the crack with it, or is doing so liable to get me electrocuted, and I should hire a handyman instead?

Last edited: