Water Dead Ends (sickness)?

Users who are viewing this thread

brucefanz

Reaction score
I have a question about a water dead end as it relates to water quality and the potential to create health issues.

Off of the cold water 1" supply that has numerous branches for bathrooms and sinks and so, I added a T with a ball valve for a new DEAD END CIRCUT for a fire sprinkler in my garage (PVC).

No water flows (I hope) in this T circut.

I have city water, any chance the water could get contaminated (stale) in someway and get us sick?

I have a low point on the sprinker (for a drain) I was thinking about putting
a ball valve and draining the water every six months or so.

Any thoughts on this?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Inspectors do not like dead ends. The codes will have at least some vague language not to do it. Now, it is a coin toss which will make you sicker, a dead-end pipe or a cookie with milk products from China!

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
I think a "bleeder" pipe with a valve as you describe should be fine, but better safe than sorry with some CEOs. Talk to him and ask his opinion before you put the line in.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
it may be wise to install a backflow preventer after your ballvalve. This way if any contaminents are there, it will not affect your potable water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks