Water boiler baseboards don't warm up

Users who are viewing this thread

zoglchaim

Reaction score
house is a duplex ( 1000 sq/f) with baisboard heating on the second floor
i run 3/4 pex pipe from the boiler to the baisboard 1, then run pipe from baisboard 1 to baisboard 2, from baisboard 2 to 3 and so on. Till sixth baisbord, that take the loop back to the boiler. In total I have about 45 l/f of baisboard

my boiler is 84000 btu
pump 125 psi
it's an alder house, new windows, located in up state NY

The problem is that only first 2 baisboards are hot.
What should I do?

Maybe the pump in good enough?
Should i thred the pipe to every baisboard?

Last edited:

schwhere

Reaction score
probably what is happening is most of the heat is being radiated off by the time the water passes through the first couple of radiators -- each radiator in the loop is going to progressively be cooler.

i have a couple of houses that have a single pipe loop per zone, with the radiators teeing into that loop. in this setup, the pipe size is reduced between the two tees for each radiator to force water up into the radiator. A valve on each radiator, either manual or thermostatically controlled, adjusts the flow to the individual radiators. This system is also prone to the first radiators being hotter than the last, but gives the option of reducing or increasing flow to individual radiators to even out the heat.

one house i have has two loops -- a supply and a return loop. Each radiator is connected to both loops and valves on each radiator regulate the amount of water flowing through each one. the water in the supply line maintains a consistent temperature, as the cooled water returns in a separate line. the supply line does connect into the return line after the very last radiator.

you mentioned running pipe to every baseboard, which is also an option, altho it will require significantly more pipe, and a distribution manifold with valves at the boiler.

just some ideas...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heat

Did you provide a means to purge the air from the baseboard, and if so, did you purge it. If not, the the heat will either not reach the baseboard or will only heat the first one or two sections.

zoglchaim

Reaction score
hj said:
Did you provide a means to purge the air from the baseboard, and if so, did you purge it. If not, the the heat will either not reach the baseboard or will only heat the first one or two sections.

oh yes
i have i installed air separator 20 inches away from the boiler and float vents on every other baisboard

V

vaplumber

Sounds to me like air in the system. Bleed each radiator, or in your case baseboard and should work fine.

zoglchaim

Reaction score
problem solved

hj said:
And how do you propose to get the air out of the "every other baseboard" that does not have a vent?

thanks alot everyone

i fixed the problem with your help

1. i didn;t know that every baisboard needs a float vents
2. i didn;t know that float vents has to be located on the pipe that goes down from the baisboard

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks