Watch closely when they carpet your bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Some friends recently had their entire home recarpeted by a reputable interior design company. They did a beautiful job -- everything except the kitchen, including 2 baths. About 4 days later one of the bathrooms developed a really bad odor problem. Really bad.

They called a plumber, who came out and pretty quickly determined it was a leaking-toilet smell. He pulled the toilet and found... the new carpet, laid over the wax seal (not determined whether it was the original seal or a new one), with a cross cut in it. Apparently they intended to cut out around the wax seal later, but Miller Time was coming on fast, or something, so they just re-set the toilet and vamoosed.

The carpet company owner was invited over to have a look, and the last I heard was properly humble and is making things right. The first thing he did was have the plumber pull the other bath's toilet to see if this was a mistake or SOP.

The plumber made out OK, and has a good story to tell.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
story

What kind of carpet layers were they? Apprentices just starting out on their own or what? Any good carpet layer knows you do not carpet under the toilet, you cut around it.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Comfy but from a service plumber's point of view you don't want to kneel down or have your skin touch that carpet, especially with kids in the home or those that clean their bathrooms when accidents happen. :eek:

Those towels I lay down to protect my tools and myself always go to the back of the truck and straight to the washing machine at the end of the day. I ended up with an apartment sized washer/dryer combo that works perfect for work related cleaning.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
My 3 Cents

At some point mold and rot will start at tub or shower edge and around the
toilet. Believe it or not some guys don't have as good a aim as HJ and TOOL :D Then you have odor in a permenent carpet. any floor rot won't be found untill it's advanced,unless it's a slab of cource.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Every carpeted bathroom I have seen gets nasty over time. It's just the nature of the room and gravity does the rest. Water, moisture, germs ect. gravitate towards the floor. Carpet just acts like a growing medium.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
carpet

I would never carpet a bathroom floor or kitchen floor. I've always felt that first it's unsanitary, breeds odors and can camouflage a leak for a long time.

Same goes for the kitchen and if someone spills milk, talk about a terrible odor.

I would just use a throw rug and launder it.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
plumber1 said:
I would never carpet a bathroom floor or kitchen floor. I've always felt that first it's unsanitary, breeds odors and can camouflage a leak for a long time.

Same goes for the kitchen and if someone spills milk, talk about a terrible odor.

I would just use a throw rug and launder it.

Yep. Carpeting is just filthy in general. As soon as I can find an affordable floor covering that isnt
cold in winter--all my carpeting is going out.
Bathroom-no way.

I even ripped out the carpeting in my bedroom last year- that floor is the bare concrete slab-it looks great, even without acid stain.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
We've ripped out wall-to-wall carpet (usually hideous shag) and laid ceramic tile in the last 3 houses we've owned (all in Florida). Each time we said we'd never do it again, but this time we mean it. True, there are a few months when the floor feels a little chilly, but that's why God invented area rugs and lambswool slippers. OTOH, the floor feels clean 100% of the time.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Mikey said:
We've ripped out wall-to-wall carpet (usually hideous shag) and laid ceramic tile in the last 3 houses we've owned (all in Florida). Each time we said we'd never do it again, but this time we mean it. True, there are a few months when the floor feels a little chilly, but that's why God invented area rugs and lambswool slippers. OTOH, the floor feels clean 100% of the time.

hallelujah brother. I'm replacing everything in this house due to years of neglect
by previous owners. In doing that I find my nose in magazines-websites-showrooms and so on.
It sure appears to me the trend is "no carpet" in a lot of homes, especially high end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks