washing machine standpipe???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Master Brian, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Master Brian

Master Brian DIY Senior Member

What is the correct height for a standpipe? Does this change for a top load to a side load machine?

I am looking at moving my washing machine to my basement, I currently have high efficiency top load unit, but when it goes out, I'll probably get a front load unit. What about sitting the front load unit on one of those pedestal stands, does that change anything?

My drain is 2" PVC, going to a sewage ejector pump and it will be vented.

I thought I posted this earlier, but can't find it, so if it is a duplicate, I appologize!

Thanks
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

I'm not sure if your local codes, but IPC states:

802.4 Standpipes.
    Standpipes shall be individually trapped. Standpipes shall extend a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) and a maximum of 42 inches (1066 mm) above the trap weir. Access shall be provided to all standpipes and drains for rodding.

A traditional top loader as well as a modern front loader both sit on the ground no matter what, so there is no change in standpipe specs for either unit.
    Apparently by IPC, raising your washing machine on a platform has no bearing on standpipe minimum height. However for my code, the standpipe must extend above the FLR and be a minimum of 24".
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

standpipe

In most cases the standpipe has to be above the level of the water in the machine since most do not have a drain valve to prevent the water from going through the hose when the washer fills.
  4. Master Brian

Master Brian DIY Senior Member

That's kind of what I thought, which is actually why I asked. I would think the front loader when installed on a pedestal would create the need for a higher standpipe.

Thanks for the replies.....