washing machine standpipe???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Master Brian, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Master Brian

Master Brian DIY Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    What is the correct height for a standpipe? Does this change for a top load to a side load machine?

I am looking at moving my washing machine to my basement, I currently have high efficiency top load unit, but when it goes out, I'll probably get a front load unit. What about sitting the front load unit on one of those pedestal stands, does that change anything?

My drain is 2" PVC, going to a sewage ejector pump and it will be vented.

I thought I posted this earlier, but can't find it, so if it is a duplicate, I appologize!

2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Jun 21, 2007
    I smash things and demand money.
    Victoria, BC
    I'm not sure if your local codes, but IPC states:

802.4 Standpipes.
    Standpipes shall be individually trapped. Standpipes shall extend a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) and a maximum of 42 inches (1066 mm) above the trap weir. Access shall be provided to all standpipes and drains for rodding.

A traditional top loader as well as a modern front loader both sit on the ground no matter what, so there is no change in standpipe specs for either unit.
    Apparently by IPC, raising your washing machine on a platform has no bearing on standpipe minimum height. However for my code, the standpipe must extend above the FLR and be a minimum of 24".
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

In most cases the standpipe has to be above the level of the water in the machine since most do not have a drain valve to prevent the water from going through the hose when the washer fills.
  5. Master Brian

Master Brian DIY Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    That's kind of what I thought, which is actually why I asked. I would think the front loader when installed on a pedestal would create the need for a higher standpipe.

Thanks for the replies.....