Washing Machine Drain Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Cooky

Reaction score
I am replacing a laundry tub with a standard counter and sink. I'd like to connect the washer discharge under the counter rather than hooking it over the side of the sink.

We have a new High Efficiency washer and the drain hose is only 1 inch in diameter. Can I use a drain pipe connection similar to what my dishwasher uses in the kitchen?

A second option may be to add a Y connection to the horizontal drain pipe coming out of the wall and then add a second p trap and a stand pipe under the counter. Then I can hook the washer discharge there.

Thoughts?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Some of the newest high efficency washers use very little water and the instructions for them state to set up the drain using a dishwasher tailpiece...
If this is what you have you are presently in a la-la land where the code states a 2" standpipe is required but has not addressed the type of machine you have yet... As it stands asking a plumber may not even get you a clear answer because he probably hasn't seeN one of these machines yet..

You have to make a choice here... You can go with the code compliant standpipe and your home will be set up for either the new machine or, the conventional machine and it will cost a bit more. Or, you can go ahead and hook it up via the dishwasher tailpiece as instructed in the washer installation manual and have a working unit but will not be code compliant as it is not yet addressed by the code.

My guess is when it finally is addressed the hook up will be similar to what the state you are in allows for a dishwasher... High loop in the hose or, an air gap.

Is this one of the machines that also dries?

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
What does the installation manual say?

I think whatever you do you'll need an air gap, discharge above a certain elevation of the washer, and of course a trap. If the discharge isn't high enough then the washer will start to drain while it is filling. This problem gets worse with the new tall machines.

I don't think a Y-tailpiece under a counter would work for two reasons. First I don't know if they make one that big and second the discharge may be too low.

You may end up with a standpipe against the wall.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Stand pipe, 2" trap arm and trap, must connect to 3" branch line. Don't make no difference if it's high efficiency or not. Code says nothing about "high efficeincy" Dump it into the sink, save yourself the hassle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks