Washer/dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

tommym

Reaction score
Well , first of all I'd would like to say Hello to everyone !
Last year we bought our first home , the house is 3 years old , good size for our family . With time I am starting to see some minor problems / inconveniencies. Instead of having furnace , water heater , washer&dryer in the basement we have utility room on the main floor of the house . When you walk in to the utility room there is a furnace and water heater on the right , across from that there is a dryer washer and sink , and there is only about a 1.5' of space to walk in between , once you past all of the appliances there is wide open area , which in my opinion should have been used for the sink ,washer&dryer to have more open space at the entrance and easier access to washer and dryer . Now , I want to move sink ,washer&dryer to the back of that room , rerouting water and sewer piping shouldnt be to much problem since my basement is not finished and all pipes are uncovered , the problem maybe the dryer ...right now dryer exhaust pipe is directly above it connected with 4' long aluminum flex pipe , if I move the dryer 10feet away from that spot I will have to draw really long flex pipe along the sealing , would this be against any fire safety regulations?
Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Under some codes, the MAX length allowed of flex pipe is 6 feet. And from a practical standpoint, longer lengths of flex create an inefficiency in the dryer, and a maintenence issue in cleaning out the lint. You should use smooth 4" single wall metal pipe. Ten feet is not an excessive dryer vent run. I would probably live with it, but your dryer and your electric bill would love an inline duct booster fan. But it will run you close to $300, and that may not be justified in this case.

washer_rough_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks