Wall Window A/C Condensation Doesn't Drain

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by nin28, Aug 10, 2009.

1. nin28

nin28 New Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I've had luck here before so here goes: my wall air conditioner does not drain the condensation at all. Somehow it got clogged. It's a small unit, Maytag/Fedders m6x06f2a, and only cools our 10x12 room. Any general ideas on how to "unclog" it? Thank you.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Lint/dust/pollen build up and need to be cleaned out. Have you checked the owner's manual? If you don't have it, you can probably find it online. It probably shows how to take the cover off and get to the drain.

Sometimes, the drain line gets kinked. You need to check it out to verify. There is a sloped pan underneath the evaporator coil to collect the condensation. At the low point, is the drain hole.Sometimes a pipe cleaner or a wire or something can be used to poke through it and clear out whatever is plugging it.
  3. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

If you have one try to Shop-vac it.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It needs to tip slightly to the outside, and if there is a drain hole or slot, clean it out.

You probably already know that Fedders, who made window A/C under their name and the Maytag brand label, is Chapter "gone" bankrupt. No warranty or service or parts are available. Just run that sucker until it dies!
  5. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

My friends AC did not have any drainage hole
    We had to drill one
  6. nin28

nin28 New Member

I'm looking all over the place for the drainage hole and I don't see a thing. I think it may be an issue with the A/C not properly tipped to outsite. The window sill on the outside of the house is actually higher than the inside causing the A/C to tip inward. I used my carpentry skills to get the A/C to tip outward and it seems to be better. So much water collected in the pan that I could hear the fan going through it. I may still take it apart and see if I can figure out what is going on. BTW, couldn't find a manual online anywhere. Thanks for the help.
  7. Furd

Furd Engineer

I don't know about your particular unit but many window A/C units are designed to hold a certain level of water in their pan and the fan does indeed dip into the water. The fan then throws the water onto the condenser coil which helps to cool the condenser (by evaporation) and this can often result in no water being drained.
  8. nin28

nin28 New Member

That may be the case Furd cuz I can't find a drain anywhere. Now that the A/C is properly tipped towards outside it doesn't sound like the fan is "drowing" in the water but is hitting it. Also, last year, water would drain into the window sill, which it is not doing now. Thanks for everyone's help.
  9. Sal Castro

Sal Castro New Member

Fedders Large Wall A/C Drain problem

I found a 2007 model large wall unit with a drain design problem. Drains were all clear but this unit with its powerful blower sucked up the water from the drain pan and blew it into the room. Standing in front was like taking a shower. We designed a drift eliminator by covering the lower section of the coil and drain pan and keeping that section isolated from the fan's negative return air pull. Works great. All water flows outside now.

Sal Castro, P.E.
    NY
  10. jacobsond

jacobsond DIY Junior Member

Is the AC cooling good? Is water dripping inside? As long as the AC is cooling ok and there is no water dripping inside your likely ok. Modern ACs to not usually drip like the old ones. Like a previous post in this thread the fan slings the water onto the back coil where it evaporates helping the cooling efficiency of the AC. If you haven't cleaned your AC in a few years better get that done before you burn out the compressor from thermal overload.And if you want to buy a new AC drill a drain hole. Hit the condenser line blow the freon charge. Then look surprised when you take it to a repairman like me and I tell you $200 to repair the line and recharge your AC
  11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I would hope that after two years, the OP would have this sorted.
  12. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

I think this is an old thread, But the way furd explained was correct.

The fan slinger should be putting the water Outside. If it does not then the unit needs to be leveled.

DonL
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011