wall tube broken flush to tee

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cwlo225, Jul 11, 2012.

1. cwlo225

cwlo225 New Member

This is an old building (1900) where the wall tube (1 1/4") was soldered into a threaded 1 1/2" galvanized tee. There is nothing left of the tube.

Since the T is threaded, and 1 1/2", the lead is fairly thick since a 1/1/4 tube was soldered in. Was this lead originally a threaded bushing, or was the lead perhaps hammered in? Just wondering as it will help me understand how I need to proceed with the repair.

Thanks,

Chris
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Chances are it's a brass solder bushing.

John
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

What you have may just be the tip of the iceberg. As you get into the job, there may well be more and more problems to resolve. In reading your question, I infer that you don't have much plumbing experience. Nothing wrong with that, but this may well be far beyond a novice DIY job.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They could NOT solder a brass tube to a galvanized tee. You have a brass solder bushing which has to be CAREFULLY removed from the tees thread.