Wall Furnace Mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Armstrong

Reaction score
I have an approx. 15y/o Williams Furnace Co. gas wall furnace model 6508532. Over the past year my furnace would occasionally not come on. I would check the pilot and sure enough it would be out. After relighting the pilot it would fire up and run as normal. Sometimes after waiting awhile I would hear a click like a valve opening/closing. I would relight the pilot and the furnace would come on. After awhile the furnace would not come even though the pilot was lit. Then out of the blue it would come on normally. I thought it might be the thermostat because I could connect the two wires going to it and the furnace would come on. after replacing the thermostat the same problem started again.

I read on the net that it might be the thermalcoupler so I replaced that and the problem remains. When the pilot is lit and I disconnect the thermalcoupler the pilot shuts off. Whenever I shut the gas off to the furnace after awhile I hear that same valve opening/closing.

Now, though the pilot is lit the furnace will not run at all. It's been a few days and I'm out of guesses. Is it time to replace the whole main 'valve module'? I'm about to try and find one on the net and do it myself but before I do I was hoping to get some answers here. Thanks

This is what my furnace looks like though it doesn't have 'Forsaire' on it.

http://www.wfc-fc.com/pdf/Forsaire_Counterflow_Furnaces.pdf

Mike

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

It is probably a "powerpile" system. If so, loosen ALL the connections and retighten them because even a slight amount of corrosion can keep it from working.

Mike Armstrong

Reaction score
Thanks HJ, I'll try that.

It's strange because the heater looks and runs like new. When I've had this problem with it in the past, out of the blue, for what seems like no reason, it would start working fine again. I've always thought that as long as it actually 'works' then it's not actually 'broken'. There's just something loose, out of align or slightly out of adjustment.

We'll see, thanks.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Most likely loose connection or corrosion. I would have suspected thermocouple as well. Try new gas valve if that doesn't work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks