wall flange too low (floor mounted rear outlet toilet) & gasket choice

Users who are viewing this thread

munkyboi

Reaction score
hi guys,

i have a dilemma which i hope you guys can shed some light on.

i have a gerber floor mounted rear outlet toilet that is sitting on tiled floor. apparently, the person who laid the tiles did not put into consideration to maintain the distance between the finished floor to the center of the flange to be 4". as a result, the rear outlet of the toilet is slightly above the flange on the wall.

i am trying to find a solution to remedy the problem without having to remove the tiles and the substrate and lay the floor again with the proper height.

i did a little bit of research and came up with 2 possible solutions and i would like to pick your brains and see if any of them would work.

1. replace the existing flange with an offset flange and hope that the offset would match

2. replace the toilet with something like the saniflo or caroma sydney smart. the adapter/pipe that comes with saniflo or caroma for connecting the toilet to the flange obviously would not work since it's made to mate the toilet to a standard 4" flange. but since both toilets have the rear outlet that is substantially higher than the standard 4" plus the toilet is set back away from the wall quite a bit. that would provide enough space to possibly install a fabricated PVC adapter that connects the toilet rear outlet to the flange.

what do you guys think?

in addition, i need to install a gasket and i have narrowed down the choice to 2: ZURN NEO-SEAL or FERNCO FTS-4 gasket. i like the funnel design of FERNCO but i am concerned about the strength of its adhesive especially when it's installed on an old toilet. the cement that comes with ZURN sounds more "industrial" and stronger, but that's perhaps just a matter of perception. so i would love to hear your experience and opinions on both of them or any other products that i am not aware of.

any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
m.

Hbb

Reaction score
Similar peoblem.....
Looking for / fabricate:
"offset nipple for rear discharge toilet. Length = 3 inches, offset, diameter =4 inches.BRASS
REAR DISCHARGE FLOOR MOUNTED TOILET.
The building stack is set 3/4 inch too low to accommodate where toilet is set.
Plumbers want to cut into cast iron stack and move the carrier which is a huge job and would
Likely require the use of lead in occupied premises. We are seeking a simple solution.
Seems an offset nipple would work but we are unable to find one or someone who can make one.
Open to suggestions

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Saniflo toilets do NOT have mounting bolts on the rear to attach to a wall mount flange, even if they have an open back so you could exit the rear. A conventional offset flange would be too "long" to fit between the toilet and the riser in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks