Walk-in Shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Sheffey, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Sheffey

Sheffey New Member

Hello! I have a dilemna. I want to install a walk-in shower and I need to know what plumbing materials are necessary for the job. What goes underneath the floor to insure that no leaks occur? Please help.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

This is a pretty broad question. Do you mean a shower with a curb, or one you could roll a wheelchair into?

In any event, a waterPROOF liner must be under the tile. There are a number of special requirements.....the subfloor must first be pre-sloped to allow water to run to the drain. Then the waterproof membrane goes down...PVC, copper, or lead. These materials take some knowledge and skill to put down. Then a mortar sub-base goes down, and the tile on top of that.

The membrane must be continuous up and over the curb, and about 8" up the wall.

A good reference is the "Ceramic Tile Handbook" from the Tile Council of America ( tileusa.com)

Another excellent resource is the tile forum www.johnbridge.com

I do recommend that you get some books and do some study. Right now you don't even have a basic understanding to ask relevant question. There is a lot of help available here on the internet, but we can't build it for you.. You have to take the lead.

By the way, there are some more modern waterproofing systems than those I mentioned, so if you go into a tile specialty store, you can probably get some reference material and training about those.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Check out www.schluter.com on Kerdi...it is well suited to waterproof that type of shower and floor area. Noble company makes a similar, but probably a little harder to work with membrane. These are easier than the conventional liner since you only need the slope...then you install the liner membrane and tile directly to it. The conventional liner needs additional mortar on top of it to tile to, and results in a thicker total shower pan - makes it harder to do a barrier free shower, especially if it is a retrofit.
  4. rolls831

rolls831 New Member

walk in shower

If you want a shower pan that won't leak and can be tiled the same day you install it. Go to Tileredi.com. It has a 6" threshold. They supply the special thinset for the tile in the pan, it's called Latapoxy-300 Epoxy Adhesive. I'll be installing one that is 33x60. LOL.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are other pans/systems that can be tiled the same day as installed. Another system, as opposed to a component that works well is Wedi.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Post(s) removed by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. johnfrwhipple

8. johnfrwhipple