vynal siding

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by little buddy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. little buddy

little buddy New Member

I just purchased another house that I will use for rental property. It currently has 12" massonite lap siding that is in poor condition. I'm afraid painting would just be throwing good money away. I was wondering if I had to tear the old siding off first. If I don't tear off the old, I'm not real sure how the new siding will look going around the windows.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You aren't too clear what you are thinking of doing, but I assume by the title of you question that you are considering vinyl siding. The short answer is yes, you have to tear off the old siding completely. You use J trim around windows and doors and special inside and outside trim for the corners. I will tell you that vinyl side is OK, I have it on my house, but unless you have done this kind of work before, and by the nature of your question, it doesn't sound like you have, I would urge you to hire professionals to do this job. There are many "tricks of the trade" that unless you know them will almost assure you of having a hack looking job. Like lots of things, it looks so simple...until you get into it. :eek:
  3. little buddy

little buddy New Member

vinyl siding

Thanks Gary for your response. I apoligize for poor explanation of my question. It was quite late and I had spent the day putting in a hot water heater. You managed to answer my question quite well. I have done home remodeling for several years. I pretty much new the answer before I asked. I have done a little bit of sidding and probably wouldn't hesitate on giving it a try. You know how it is with rental property, if you have to hire everything done you're cutting into the profit. Thanks again Gary and have a good week.
  4. thezster

thezster New Member

Gary hit the first part on the head... Need to remove that old nasty Masonite....

On the second part - I'm not sure I agree 100%. Vinyl siding, at least for me, is a reasonably simple process... Sure, there are tricks of the trade - and shortcuts for those who know them... but for anyone with half decent remodeling skills - it's not rocket science... I tackled a 4000sq.ft 3 story a while back - and it came out really well... Looked good, no drips, leaks, etc.... On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of vinyl siding, nor aluminum.... For my money, even on my cheap fix n flips - it's hardiplank.... or nothing... Easy to install (relatively) - Not that expensive, looks good, and lasts a thousand years....(or at least until long after I'm dead and gone...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sidebar

Just for clarification. Did it take you ALL day to install a water heater, if so, then that siding job may be a multi-month long task.
  6. little buddy

little buddy New Member

response

You know, some people on this forum have the personality of a rock and commen sense to match. It's a sad thing because most of you are very helpful. Then there are a few that are in it for a buck and really don't know any more than the rest of us. For the good ones out there, I apalogize and for the rest of you and you know who YOU are "YOU SUCK"

Mike
  7. [​IMG]

Okay folks, gettin a little out of hand here, settle down, settle down. :D
  8. little buddy

little buddy New Member

funny

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are that's funny.
  9. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

I would start by reading the Vinyl Siding Installation Manual.

One thing to keep in mind is that vinyl siding is actually vinyl cladding and is not a weather resistive barrier as most would think. For that matter, it isn't maintanenance free either and has a limited lifespan.