Vessel sink installation - rigid?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by TruckeeTrout, Jan 22, 2006.

1. TruckeeTrout

TruckeeTrout New Member

I recently installed a vessel sink as part of a DIY remodel project. The sink is a Decolav, with all the proper hardware. My question is whether one should expect the sink to be rigid - that is, not move during normal cleaning and wiping. I'm reluctant to crank down on the thing. It's disconcerting to have the thing rotate a bit, but one has a very big lever arm when wiping the rim.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

George
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Turning is not good...the drain and especially the pop-up arm nor the seals. I'm not a pro, nor have I installed one. I'd seriously consider resetting it with some silicon under it. You could probably mask and wipe any that oozed out to maintain a clean look, but that would probably stop it. I'm picturing this as a sink thatsits above (mostly) the vanity. If I don't have the right idea, or to help others maybe consider posting a picture (manage attachments under the submit reply boxes).
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If this is a vanity top that set on top of a cabinet, you need to run a bead of caulking around the cabinet edges. This will "glue" the top down to the cabinet. Don't rely on the plumbing to hold things in place.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sink

Normally the drain is fastened only to the sink, and not the countertop also. Therefore the sink would always be free to move unless it is secured to the countertop with a bead of caulking on the underside.
  5. TruckeeTrout

TruckeeTrout New Member

w/ install instructions

Thanks for your replies. Here's the Decolav installation directions which shows the 'sandwich' of drain, sink, mounting ring and countertop. The black washer shown there is rubber and forms a good seal - I've used the sink for a couple of months now without leaking. But the only way I can see to create a non-moving sink is to crank down (actually, up) on the nut on the tailpiece. It's just not clear that this is appropriate.

George
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sink

That sink has such a small footprint that it does require that the drain be used to secure the sink. However, I would still apply a bead of clear silicone on the bottom to secure it to the countertop.
  7. TruckeeTrout

TruckeeTrout New Member

hj,

Thanks for your assistance. I ended up taking the thing apart and reassembling. Altho' the manufacturer's tech support guy said finger tight should be adequate, it wasn't. I snugged up the nut with a pair of channel locks and the sink will now not move during 'normal maintenance'. Because it's resting on a rubber gasket it's still possible to move it, but not during normal use.

Thanks again.

George