very stiff SHOWER nob

Users who are viewing this thread

dave988

Reaction score
My nans house has a new bathroom put it and the shower nob to turn on the water on is really hard to turn. I can just turn it! So obviously my 75 year old nan has no chance. I've tried to loosen it by continually turning on about 15 occasions and its no better. I've also tried WD40 which did nothing so I guess its all plastic. Its like half a grapefruit round shape that you cant grip easily. The temp and flow are on a combined control.

What can I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
knob

Without knowing the exact faucet and handle we cannot give you any advice, other than to have the valve serviced, and maybe buy a different handle. One with the lever.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WD40 isn't the right thing! Some silicon plumber's grease might help, but without knowing the brand and model, it's probably hard to tell or how to lubricate it.

dave988

Reaction score
It was put in 6 months ago and no one can remember the make and such.
Can someone show me the type of grease to get there seems to be different types of lubricant and grease's

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Go to the big box store or a real plumbing supply and get a small tin of silicon plumber's grease...it's labeled that way. You need something that is safe for potable water.

dave988

Reaction score
Is this ok? Im sure it probably is is just to check.

Black Swan Plumbers Silicone Grease 4120

Doesn't say its safe with potable water or not

Cheers Dave

Jadnashua

Reaction score
While I'm not sure, what I did find says it is made up of inert fillers and silicon. Silicon is pretty inert itself (primary component of glass), so sounds good. Maybe someone would know, but since it is spec'ed to lubricate valves, probably okay. BTW, the first hit on this was in England...you over there?

dave988

Reaction score
well I pushed it into the crack and brushed it about in there turned it back and forth a lot but whether its got inside the right places I don't know. Its a bit better but not a lot. Hopefully it will still work in more somehow.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
To do this right, you need to pull the cartridge, lubricate it, then reinstall it. Putting it on topically, won't get it where it truely needs to be.

dave988

Reaction score
right, just pull that mother out then? I cant really see another way the thing comes out but then when its reinstalled it should click into place, ' I hope' lol

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Each brand is a little different. Some have a clip, some have a nut, you have to remove whatever is holding it in place, and some don't like to come out peacefully without a fight. Just don't know about yours. Make sure you've shut off the water supply first as you'll never get it back in with the pressure on!

dave988

Reaction score
I worked out how it came off got it off, got to the last piece (I now know was the last piece ) and the thing shot out covering me in water. I soon found out how to turn the water off in the street. Greased it even on the rubber washers on the cartridge/valve but its not much better. I think this thing is just cheap and designed for a man..

What I now want is to get something to replace the valve/nob thinge with one with more leverage to turn on flow. If possible I want something very similar in design/type so I can just put the new bit into the same hole? But of course with sticking out levers to help turning. Are these valves (if thats correct) all the same size diameter and such? Is this possible to get something like this as a replacement even if its another make?

I dont have the model number or even know the make . Here are some pics of the nob (facet). I didn't have time to take out the valve to picture it so this is it with the front plastic off. They are taken with a crap camara so fuzzy

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I bet you could find something that fits with a little trial and error. If not, clamp on some vice grips. :D What does the existing knob look like?

dave988

Reaction score
installed it looks like picture 1337 (but in the pic the plastic temperature control part taken off from the end pointing toward us)
dismantled the valve part is like a solid copper (i think) although I can't really describe it I will try and get a pic of it later, with measurements.

dave988

Reaction score
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks