Venting Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Saltworks

Reaction score
I have a couple of bath venting questions that I could use some help on.

1. I have a bath on the first floor that has vents running through the attic to the main vent. The lavatory vent runs across the joists to the main vent. I am adding a bath on the second floor. I have been able to accomodate all the vents from the first floor into the new walls on the second floor bath with the exception of the first floor lavatory vent which will run through the middle of the new bath. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot run that vent horizontally through the floor joists to pick up a new vent in the walls of the second floor? I know that the vent cannot run horizontally until it is 6 inches above the flood plain of the fixture being vented (which it is), but something I read makes me think that now it must run vertically until it is 6 inches above the flood plain of the new fixtures of the second floor. Is that correct or will I be able to run it to a wall to catch a vent there?

2. Is it correct that I can jog a vent no more that 45 degrees and it will still be considered vertical? In other words can I jog the vent to get closer to the wall using two 45's without violating the horizontal restrictions?

Hope I made the issue clear. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bill

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can run it horizontally across the floor and tie in above the 2nd floor ceiling.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You cannot go horizontal until you are above the fixtures connected to THAT vent. In your case, there is absolutely no prohibition against running it horizontal in the upstairs floor, but it DOES have to connect to the upstairs vent at least 42" above the floor or 6" above the overflow rim of the upstairs sinks, whichever is higher. Almost ANY angle will avoid it being horizontal.

Saltworks

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies - it certainly makes my life easier by clearing up my misunderstanding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks