venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

mannix

Reaction score
how would you go about venting a horizantal drain pipe with 6 lines coming into it. the line is 2" pvc with 1" pvc draining into it it will be horizontal with proper slope. Also this is for a fish tank not for a house. i need to know where the best place to place the vent would be. should i place one near each line coming in. can i place one at either end? also can i use smaller line to vent or does it have to be 2".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does each of the six lines have a separate trap or is there only one on the system? If they do not have traps (and have say a drain valve), only the single trap needs a vent.

If each tank has a trap, each trap needs to be vented individually. THey can be combined at 42" above the floor or 6" above the flood plane of the highest one, whichever is higher.

The vent size could likely be 1.5", but it might help with a picture or diagram of what you're trying to do.

mannix

Reaction score
i will try to draw up a picture at some point later tonight. there are no traps at all. this is not for a house and is a closed system. my drains will be going into another tank not the actual drain of the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In that case, a vent may not be needed at all. A diagram will help. A vent is used to prevent sewer gasses from coming out of drain pipes. If you have no connection to the sewer, I'm not sure why you'd need a trap.

mannix

Reaction score
basic drawing.jpg
very basic pic
the blue boxes are the tanks the grey line is the pipes coming out of the tanks the black line is the drain line.

the reason i am asking about venting it is because i was having issues with air making its way back up the drain lines frokm the tanks before and it was causing alot of bubbles

Strictly Service

Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.worcester-plumber.com
put the vent in before the last drain.put a tee in and run the vent 6 inches higher than the tanks. so per your drawing it would be:

Drain vent Drain Drain Drain Drain Drain outlet

The vent can be 1 11/2

Last edited:

Strictly Service

Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.worcester-plumber.com
Put the vent in before the last tank. Put a tee in and run the vent 6 inches higher than the tanks. so per your drawing it would be:

Drain Drain Vent Drain Drain Drain Drain outlet. Should work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks