Venting Bathroom - Is my way a good way?

Users who are viewing this thread

fjacky32

Reaction score
I want to vent my bathroom. If I vent through the ceiling to the attic and out the side of my house I'll have to travel over 20-25 feet. I think that's too far, and I also have very limited space in my attic. Here is what I want to do. I have an inline duct fan, which is powerful enough to vent the air. I want to directly vent it out the side of my house. It is located on top of the bathroom window. The fan is approx 6 inches long and it will fit perfectly. I will wire it to my light which is very close. I will make sure its done safely. On the outside I will put a dryer vent on the fan with flaps on it so critters and the cold wont come in. It seems to be easy enough, am I overlooking anything here?

Your thoughts? (see attachments for my materials)

P.S. I live in Ontario, Canada, so the winters can be quite cold...

Thanks

Attachments

• p4750518_l.jpg
    p4750518_l.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 296
  • DB_204.jpg
    DB_204.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 293

fjacky32

Reaction score
Ian Gills said:
It sounds great to me since you are venting directly to the outside. But how will you cut through the brick wall and where will you run the wires?

I am so scared about how and where to vent i.e. cutting holes in either the roof or the wall that I am resigned to continue using the most simple and legal alternative.....opening the window.

It's aluminum siding. I'm just really worried about the bathroom being real cold in the winter. I was hoping the outside vent with flaps would help

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Check your local codes. Down here if you vent through the side of a building you must be 10' above average ground level and 10' from the lot line. Plus making provisions to keep birds/rodents out as well.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
fjacky32 said:
I have an inline duct fan, which is powerful enough to vent the air.

My suspicion is that the duct fan you have is going to move much more air than you will want to push outside your house during winter, and also that it is noisy.

fjacky32 said:
On the outside I will put a dryer vent on the fan with flaps on it so critters and the cold wont come in.

I would suggest looking around for something more substantial than a dryer vent, and possibly even one that is motorized so it can pull the seal-together louvers tight shut when not in use. Otherwise, pennies (or maybe even nickels) will be continually floating away out into the cold night sky ...

fjacky32

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
I would suggest looking around for something more substantial than a dryer vent, and possibly even one that is motorized so it can pull the seal-together louvers tight shut when not in use. Otherwise, pennies (or maybe even nickels) will be continually floating away out into the cold night sky ...

Ya, that's my only real worry. But again, wouldn't cold air also come in if I vented through the roof?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
leejosepho said:

With properly insulated pipe and correct penetrations he's not gonna lose heat through a plumbing vent.

fjacky32

Reaction score
FloridaOrange said:
With properly insulated pipe and correct penetrations he's not gonna lose heat through a plumbing vent.

It won't be insulated. It's just going through the wall. 6 inches. Of course I'll spray some foam insulation around the inline duct fan, but Ill have a regular indoor vent on the inside and a dryer louvre vent on the outside. (I have attachments in my original post)

Guess it's not gonna work.

Back to the drawing board I guess

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
FloridaOrange said:

Understood, but he is talking about a dryer vent going through the wall just above the bathroom window.

fjacky32 said:
Ya, that's my only real worry. But again, wouldn't cold air also come in if I vented through the roof?

I could be wrong, but I think not. Rather, hot air would rise ... and a balanced damper might help to slow that down when the fan is not running.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
duct

I am a bit confused about how you would install the fan. If you can go through the side wall, why not use a wall mounted vent/fan unit instead of monkeying with dryer vents and inline blowers?

fjacky32

Reaction score
hj said:
I am a bit confused about how you would install the fan. If you can go through the side wall, why not use a wall mounted vent/fan unit instead of monkeying with dryer vents and inline blowers?

I live in Ontario, Canada and I can't find one over 50cfm. And the wall mount fans seem way more pricey.

Last edited:

Kilgore!!!!

Reaction score
Heat Loss

Ok, Maybe I'm a little out of my league. I'm a firefighter, and if you've ever seen the heat loss from any vent (dryer, bathroom, kitchen hood,...) through an infra-red vision camera on a chilly night, you would see the market for a million dollars.

I'd say that if you vent out, over the window, you'd be fine, just try to get the best insulated external vent cover available

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks