Venting basement floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

grahamW

Reaction score
Can anyone describe how a typical basement floor drain is vented? Can it be wet vented to a 3" stack which is itself a vent (i.e. runs from the basement slab through to the roof)? If so, what are the distance requirements at play?

Thanks in advance,
Graham

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't have any idea what YOUR areas plumbing code states, but I'm sure that it will not allow you to use a drain as a vent.

Wet venting is commonly restricted to residential bathrooms here in the U.S.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
There is actually a special case called an "emergency" floor drain in Canada, so long as you use 3" (and 3" downstream obviously), you're not required to add a vent, nor does it count any DFUs.

grahamW

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. The house is 10 years old (we've been in it for 18 months) and it is pretty clear that every trade built with cheapness in mind. The 3" vent stack is about 6' away from the basement drain and extends from the basement slab straight up to roof. It is the waste drain for the ensuite toilet and bathtub on the 2nd floor. The ensuite sink and shower share a drain with another 3 piece bathroom which are on a shared wall. Looking in the attic, I've found 2 other 1 1/2" vent lines connecting with this 3" vent stack. Does this make any sense? I've included a floor plan in my other thread.

grahamW

Reaction score
So I've located an existing 2" vent that the main floor toilet uses. Can tie the basement drain and laundry into this vent (assuming join 42" above the main floor)? I'll try to put a drawing together of what I am thinking for you all to review ;)

I appreciate that running a dedicated vent might be preferable, but it would be almost impossible to fish it through walls directly above this room in the basement. Likewise, punching a vent in the roof directly above isn't an option so I'd need to run it to the back of the house and I may as well tie it together with the others if I'm doing that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks