Venting And Drain Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Fletch1

Reaction score
During a bath remodel I had a pro come in to help with plumbing. As it turns out it's a disaster. I can't have him back again. There are 2 bathrooms one above the other. A sewage pump up ejector was installed in the lower bath years ago, it was vented to the main horizontal vent in the upstairs bath. When the plumber came to plumb the upstairs bath he looked at the ejector etc and told me the ejector vent was not needed. So he tied upstairs bath sink drain into it.

The problem I'm having now is the upstairs sink rough in drain is to high for are 32" pedestal. The wall is tiled so I can't lower the drain on the bath side. I have opened the wall on the kitchen side and after looking things over I'm not sure how to approach this.

An earlier photo shows the plumbers rough in sink drain ties into the sewage elector vent, which I believe makes it a wet vent between bathrooms on different floors. I have been told that's not allowed. Maybe he did this because as he said the "ejector vent was not needed" so he felt he could just use it as a drain?

So in any case I need to lower the drain and there is a hole in the floor that I can access for that purpose but venting it is not an easy option. So can you tell me if it can share the with the kitchen sink vent which is close by? Or if the ejector vent is not needed as the plumber said I just lower the drain and tie into ejector vent?

Here the photo's link, 2nd photo is the kitchen side. Thanks for your help.

https://www.screencast.com/t/Q38dea9z7

https://www.screencast.com/t/0zR0h8khy

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Make sure you know what you are looking at. The ejector pit must be vented, and it is not permitted to be wet vented.
Is the old sink vent still in the wall somewhere?

Fletch1

Reaction score
Make sure you know what you are looking at. The ejector pit must be vented, and it is not permitted to be wet vented.
Is the old sink vent still in the wall somewhere?

I'm sure the upstairs sink drain is in the ejector vent. As for the old vent... it's gone. Do you know the reasoning behind not allowing wet venting of the ejector? Can the bath sink share the kitchen sink vent? Here is a photo that includes the kitchen sink vent and drain.

https://www.screencast.com/t/jUM2eIbU

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
It just won't pump anything out unless it has air coming in. It will probably work most the time unless something is draining thru the old vent at the same time it pumps out

Fletch1

Reaction score
I'm going to try and lower the sink drain to 16". Currently it's at 19". I would think that when the sink drains there would not be enough water to block the whole vent, so there should be enough air for the ejector to pump out at the same time. Is this not so?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
From what you have described, it would seem the previous work was not permitted or inspected, because it would have never passed with a competent inspector.
Wet venting between floors is not permitted anywhere in the U.S. in most places the plumbing code or the manufacturers specify a dedicated vent for a sewage basin.

If it is done correctly, the kitchen and bath fixtures can share a common vent stack. The vent connections to the stack must be at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture being served by the vent.

Fletch1

Reaction score
Well then, I will try to rework the plumbers mistake from the kitchen side. Give the bath sink it's own vent and proper drain. Not happy though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks