Vent Stack Where?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
I'm expanding a bathroom, and trying to figure out the easiest/best location for the vent stack. This is single-story, slab construction in SoCal (Orange County). The bath and toilet are in the new area, so drain routing is easy (no slab yet).

The obvious place to put the vent stack would be near the toilet -- except the small WC has foundation footings on 3 sides, and a pocket door in the wall between the tub and toilet.

It's about 6' from the toilet to the shower. Could the shower vent (in one of the walls surrounding the shower) service the tub and toilet, or is that too far from the tub and toilet?

If the vent has to go in the WC area, can I put a wye in the waste line between the tub and toilet (going to the vent stack), or does each branch have to have it's own wye going to the (common) vent stack?

Here's a sketch of the layout. Thanks for your input.

BathroomDrainLayout.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Your Roman tub AND shower both need vents and I cannot see how a single one would serve both. The Roman tub vent would service the toilet, assuming it is installed properly. Where is your sink/lavatory? I might have run the pipes differently if I were able to see the actual site.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Your Roman tub AND shower both need vents and I cannot see how a single one would serve both. The Roman tub vent would service the toilet, assuming it is installed properly. Where is your sink/lavatory? I might have run the pipes differently if I were able to see the actual site.

The lav's are upscreen, above the existing shower (left side of pic). They have their own vent thru the interior wall they abut.

This is an existing install to the point where I have the 45 bend toward the toilet/tub. The original shower is on the left (will be capped and covered) and the toilet is on the right (will be extended to the new shower). The existing exterior wall runs across the drawing at that 45 (current vent stack comes up at that point); the toilet and tub area is new construction (I've revised the drawing to show new/old).

I'd welcome any suggestions on improved routing. My only restriction is the wall between the toilet and tub is a pocket door, so I can't use that for a vent. If I'm running a vent up the wall behind the toilet, I'll make that section a 2x6 wall so I can run a 3" line up for a clean-out.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Put the vent in the wall in front of the toilet. It does not have to be beside or behind it.

A couple challenges there -- it's an existing exterior wall (becoming an interior as a result of the addition), so it would mean busting out the existing footing to get into the wall; a roof valley terminates above it, so there's a lot going on above the top plate; and it's an eave edge, so my vent would only be 8-odd feet above grade, and right next to the BBQ/patio.

At this point it's a toss up between telling the wife no pocket door, and running the vent up the wall seperating the WC and tub -- or going up the wall behind the toilet. It's a trade off between avoiding a riser through the footing, and having or not having an external clean out (at the end of the main line servicing two full baths -- with 4 women in the house :rolleyes:). I"ll probably go ahead and use the wall behind the toilet so I can put in the external cleanout --- otherwise you KNOW I'm going to get an earful the first time a plumber has to haul all his junk into her "sanctuary" to run a rooter through the toilet flange :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks