valve for shower/tub...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Roces79, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Roces79

Roces79 New Member

Hi,

I am remodeling my bathroom to have a corner tub/shower area. We are looking to add a wallmounted tub spout, fixed overhead shower, and a hand shower unit. In addition we want to use a 2 handle control for the flow of water (NOT a single lever).

I didn't think this setup would cause a problem, however I have my faucet store saying basically that I HAVE to use a single lever system with pressure balance to be up to US code. I don't understand this as there are plenty of 2 handle shower systems available everywhere.

Can someone please shine some light on what kind of valves are possible for what I am trying to do or explain why it is not possible.

Thank you!

Rudy

Ps: We only would need 1 of the 3 outputs available at one time.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The plumbing codes today require that in new construction or remodel, an anti-scald type of valve be used. MOST but NOT ALL of these are single handle types. You can find from Delta and others a set up that has the two ( or 3) handle function. One handle is on/off/volume and the other handle is temp control, and this has pressure-balanced or thermostatic scald control.

Your "faucet store" guy does not know his product lines very well. Ask him to get out the catalogs and have a look.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

When a shower is involved, you have to use pressure balance (and to that you can add thermostatic control). If it is only a tub filler, you do not. So, if it is designed to include a shower, to make it simpler, they ususally use a single handle, but as noted, not always.
  4. Roces79

Roces79 New Member

Thanks for the info!!

It just really confuses me when the plumbing code says you have to use a pressure valve, yet most major stores still sell valves without this feature. I would think that would not be allowed.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Plumbing codes affect only the plumber/permit holder. The codes do not affect or apply to stores.