Valve Does Not Open

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by jomama, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jomama

jomama New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    My neighbor has a six zone Hunter sprinkler system and the 1 inch valves on zones 1 & 2 do not open. The solenoids are getting power and I have disassembled the valves, cleaned them, and reassembled them, and still no luck. Even when I unscrew the solenoids, they still do not open.
    I'm "dazed and confused"................
    Eureka!!!! When cleaning the valve, I didn't notice another vent/orifice directly under the solenoid plunger. It didn't look like there was an opening because it had sand in it!!! I found a thin wire and shoved it through the opening, and the sand came out at the tip of the wire. I reassembled the valve and it works like a charm!!
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Mar 23, 2007
    Metro NYC
    If the solenoids don't actuate, they aren't getting enough current. Suspect poor wiring.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    Look especially closely at the ground wire. The usual way to connect a series of valves to ground is to daisy chain them. There could be a loose connection in the links.