Value of Ancient Copper Water Heater?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by gjj210, Oct 8, 2012.

1. gjj210

gjj210 New Member

Hi All,

I have an old copper water heater, probably from the 1930s, sitting in my basement in the house I just bought. It is not in use. I am planning on selling it for scrap. I don't want to get ripped-off. How much should I get? Help me not be a sucker! It is 5 feet by 1 foot.

Thanks,
    Greg
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The only way to answer the question would be to know how many pounds of copper that you have, and what the going rate for copper is where you live.

If there are any other non-copper parts on the appliance, then it is "mixed metal", which here, is worth much less than an object of entirely one type of metal.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It varies daily, but it's around $2/pound around here. Somewhat depends on how clean. An old waterheater could be full of mineral deposits. Might pay to cut it open, clean it out and take off any non-copper parts. Depends on how much your time is worth, too.
  4. boat dude

boat dude New Member

you possibly do better by selling it to a store that sells water heaters for thier showroom
  5. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Is that thing at all functional? Some people will pay absolutely astonishing prices for crummy old plumbing fixtures. My town has entire stores that
    specialize in the sort of junk I've been tossing in the dumpster for decades!
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The value of anything is what someone will pay for it. As stated, if it is an old Servel heater, there might be an "antique" store that would want to for resale.
  7. dont scrap the heater

please dont scrap the heater just yet....

.its not worth that much compared to its rarity.

show me a picture of what you have.... I would really like to see it...

I might be interested in buying it for my store front window..

there is one on e-bay selling for 250 bucks,,, plus shipping right now

post a picture of it or sell it on e-bay