Vacuum Breaker leaks in basement when pipe is opened (for sprinkler system)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by watermaniac, Jun 29, 2014.

1. watermaniac

watermaniac New Member

Hello,

New home owner trying to open my pipes for a sprinkler system. There is a black plastic cap that, when the pipe leading to it (vertical pipe which is attached to the main water line blow) is opened, all of the water comes out from holes that are part of it, facing downward all along the bottom outside, where the water drop is. The water will come out regardless of if the pipe going to the right, which heads outside to the sprinkler system, is open or closed. Can someome please help me to identify what this black "cap" is and how to prevent water from leaking out instead of going outside to the sprinkler?

20140629_161322.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

3. watermaniac

watermaniac New Member

Thank you Reach4, I was able to review the video and disassemble my vacuum breaker, and took it to my local plumbing supply shop where I had the piece directly under the cap replaced (the vent cap I believe). After reassembling my system properly pressurized and no longer continues leaking water after the in flow is opened.