Vacation and water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Pimbley, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Pimbley

Pimbley New Member

I always turn my water off at valve even if I leave for a weekend.

What am I supposed to do w/ water heater if I do this. Is there danger if I'm gone for a month and water is off but water heater is on. What could happen?

Thx!

Pimbley
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You would not want the heat to come on if somehow the water accidentally drained, which is unlikely but not impossible. Turning a gas WH to the "vacation" setting, or simply switching off the breaker on an electric, would be a good idea.
  3. I won't even leave for a weekend without turning OFF the water and the water heater breaker.
    I had a washing machine hose burst while I was away one weekend years ago...goodbye utility room floor...never again.
    Too easy just to turn them both off.
    Mike