using an overflow drain with a non-overflow sink?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chelsea, Jul 9, 2008.

1. chelsea

chelsea New Member

I purchased 3 kohler bolero sinks that do not have overflow. I purchased 3 sets of faucets that all came with drains with overflow holes. In the installation instructions for my sinks, it says "Lavatory shall have a chrome plated brass tube and drain gasket to cover the overflow hole in the faucet drain assembly". I took this to mean there should be some parts with the sink to use to cover the overflow holes on the drains if need be - but there are no parts like that included with the sinks. (I did purchase the sinks on **** as open box items, so I was thinking maybe they were just lost).

Is there some sort of item that I can purchase to cover the overflow holes in the drains, or do I just need to purchase new drains without overflow holes?

Thanks! :)

2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

disabled-retired industrial fabricator
    All the overflow holes do is to allow water from on overflow (if present) into the drain pipe when the sink-drain plug is down. I believe you should be able to install just what you have without any problems from those holes below the plug.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Commercial Plumber
    This means there should be a short piece of tubing (chromed) that will act as a spacer under the bowl. It covers the holes in the tailpiece and allows the nut to tighten properly and seal the drain...