Urinal leaks at spud

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ankhseeker, Apr 24, 2014.

1. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

Hi Gang. There is a urinal at work that leaks. My problem is this. On the top, there is a compression grommet that seals the top from leaking when flushed. There is a sloan/royal flush valve that supplies the water. As you can see in the picture, I have raised the escutcheon to show a partial pic of the rubber grommet.

1.) Is there a specific name for this part so I can search grainger for it?

2.) Is this grommet included/part of the urinal or the flush valve assy? Separate?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

Its a urinal spud and can be purchased separately.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is a 1x3/4" urinal spud, and you might have better luck at a plumbing or hardware store. However, the only reason it would normally "pull out" of the urinal would be if the flush valve is "jumping up" when it flushes.
  4. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

am I wrong? I was under the impression that it was a compression type. The nut, or sleeve seems to expand it. It is split!
    Thank you everyone for the input!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; The nut, or sleeve seems to expand it. It is split!

Once it is inserted into the urinal so it is sitting on the top of it, there is NO reason for it to "split" or pull out, like that one is, unless the whole assembly is pulling it upwards.
  6. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

Thanks HJ. The old rubber is very old and extremely hard. It was split at the rear. I suppose I could have just replaced the seal, but after removing the spud, it looked very corroded and for $12 bux, I just ordered one from grain*er.com since we have an account there.